Director, Leasing & Development
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Office
Over the past 40 years, Ensemble Real Estate Investments (Ensemble) has successfully invested and developed over $2 billion in real estate across the United States, offering state-of-the-art property solutions in the healthcare, hospitality, commercial, and urban multi-family and mixed-use sectors.
In January 2020, Ensemble opened its Philadelphia office, which will support Ensemble’s East Coast growth, particularly at the Navy Yard where Ensemble has already invested $360 million. The company’s 14 Navy Yard properties boast a collective 1.3 million square feet and 45 acres, and include hotels, mixed-use developments, and life science facilities for leading-edge companies like Iovance Biotherapeutics, Adaptimmune, and WuXi Advanced Therapies.
Ensemble, and its joint venture partner Mosaic Development Partners, have been selected to lead the next phase of development at the Navy Yard which will further establish the campus as a world-class business, manufacturing, R&D, and life sciences hub, and will include the creation of a vibrant residential district inclusive of retail and makerspace resulting in a true mixed-use district and envisions up to $2.6 billion of new investment. To learn more about Ensemble and Mosaic, visit https://ensemble.net/ and mosaicdp.com.
The Director, Leasing & Development reports directly to a Senior Vice President (SVP). Responsibilities include assistance in the company’s leasing efforts, assisting in sourcing potential investments, determining investment viability and developing recommendations for the Company, preparing and delivering presentation material, working effectively with project management and financial teams, and working with the Principal in Charge (PIC) of a development with specific duties. The Director will also be tasked with ad hoc analysis and research on an as needed basis.
- Prepare and execute leasing strategy and policies to maximize tenant retention, occupancy rates and rental revenues from existing company assets and new development projects.
- Manage all prospect and tenant pipeline reporting for internal and external use including creating leasing assumptions and leasing forecasting for existing and development properties.
- Oversee the customization and distribution of marketing material for existing and development properties. Collaborate with internal marketing and external marketing firms to develop additional marketing materials as needed.
- Assist in the coordination of construction of tenant interior spaces for both existing and development properties including space planning, construction estimating, etc. Interface with architects, engineers, general contractors and property management to ensure proper coordination.
- Work closely with project architects, engineers, and contractors to create base building and tenant specifications as well as Landlord/Tenant responsibility matrices for development properties.
- Thoroughly understand the financial aspects of a lease proposal to prepare, present and negotiate new leases and renewals at acceptable market rates.
- Establish and maintain positive and professional relationships with the local brokerage and real estate communities, government officials and prospective tenants.
- Establish and maintain a thorough knowledge of the local real estate market, including competitors, relevant construction and operating expense information and share that knowledge with the office.
- Assist in the pursuit of new development projects in the assemblage of the project consultant team, concept drawings and budgeting process to establish a project proforma and lease proposal.
- Act in both a primary and support role for market research, ad hoc analysis and due diligence.
- Prepare presentations in conjunction with the marketing department.
- Assist the SVP and PIC roles through critical task follow up, meeting attendance, and reporting.
- Assist in creating property specific memoranda targeting Equity, Debt and potential disposition opportunities. Process includes developing investment projections as well as detailed narrative write-ups describing the investment opportunity.
- Work with the SVP and PIC in the transformation of future development sites to pad ready sites, including utilities, infrastructure, and all regulatory approvals.
- Assist in special projects with other Ensemble departments as required.
- Understand and implement all filing protocol and procedures.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- At least 2-3 of successful commercial real estate experience in commercial real estate leasing and marketing.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Excellent working knowledge of the Internet and the Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Must be able to adapt to ever changing technology
- Strong knowledge of financial concepts, including internal rate of return, cash-on-cash yield, capitalization rates, net present values, as well as having detailed real estate, economics, and accounting knowledge
- Ability to keep one’s self organized while utilizing self-discipline, critical thinking skills and the ability to self-direct
- Maintains ability to work both independently and with others in a professional, productive and cooperative manner
- Manage multiple, deadline-oriented tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Exercises superb attention to detail
Salary and position dependent upon candidate’s level of experience and relative proficiency working in a leadership capacity. Benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, Long Term Disability, life insurance, 401K and Associate discounts at participating properties.